The country profiles found on this website analyze the state of local democracy and local government in the particular country. The profiles provide a short overview of the following:
- Local governance at a glance: This section gives an overview of the number of tiers local governments have, the government bureau (such as a ministry) which is responsible for local government, the election system of local governments, and whether a gender quota is implemented at the local level.
- Civil society actors: This list of organizations contains a selection of national civil society actors whose activities are related to participatory local democracy.
- Capacity building institutions: This section includes local government institutions or other government and university organizations which support capacity building for local governments through activities such as trainings, seminars and sharing information.
- Fiscal control: This section provides information about the revenue raising power of local governments, their funding by the central government, and what share of public resources is controlled by local governments.
- Key initiatives for participatory local governance: This part contains some important initiatives and steps which have been taken so far to strengthen participatory local democracy.
- Challenges for participatory local governance: The last sections provides an overview of existing obstacles and challenges to achieve more participatory local democracy.
Here are the country profiles we have created so far:
- Africa – East
- Africa – North
- Africa – Southern
- Africa – West
- Asia – East/South
- Asia – West/Central
- North America
- South America